Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Off again!

This may have to be short, because I am leaving in a few hours for yet another trip. I just wanted to update you on a few things and then I'll be on my way!

Things have really taken a turn since the last time I wrote. It would take quite a long time to try to explain it all, but basically, God has given me a complete perspective shift about my time here, about myself, about Him, and about all of those things combined. By his grace alone, my heart has been encouraged and I am now feeling so uplifted. I am living every day with a new sense of gratefulness. It's following me everywhere! Everything I do, I can't help but say "Lord, THANK you for...". It is not that my circumstances have necessarily changed but I have learned that it all lies in my hands how I CHOOSE to view a situation. It is entirely up to me. God has simply given me too many blessings, and it would be nothing short of foolish to choose to dwell on anything else! I am so thankful for this new way to see things, and am simply loving my time here. I am realizing how quickly it is coming to an end, and there's so much I want to do and so many people I want to get to know before I leave!

Speaking of people, I really have been meeting SO many people. It is incredible. Not everyone in the group I'm with is as excited or willing to get out and do this, so I usually venture out on my own to meet people - both Americans and Germans, and then a variety of others too (from Spain, Kenya, Chile, Holland, etc.). It is the most invigorating thing for me to get to know these people, ask them questions (ha - can anyone imagine - ME asking QUESTIONS?! :) ), find connections, hear their stories, etc. I looove it! I can't get enough of it, and wish I had more time to continue the relationships that I'm developing.

This weekend I spent another day in the town of Stuttgart with my friend Julia. It was al ot of fun to be with her again. We attempted to bake my favorite "fall" thing - apple bread!! However...with the difference in german ingredients, measurements, and ovens...it did NOT quite turn out like I'd hoped :) Oh well, it was an experiment. And it was really nice to be out of Heidelberg for a day and with her again.

I have been continuing to go to a doctor three times a week for laser treatment for my tendon. It's been three weeks since the initial injury. It has been a HARD three weeks, but God is SO faithful and I really can't do anything but offer Him praise for the healing of this, and all He's taught me meanwhile. It is feeling a lot better, and I went on my first run again on Sunday. It was incredible and SO good to be back out there (and, not to mention, SO hard to stop.:) ). Now the tricky part is easing my way back to where I was before I was injured. I'm so inclined to just get out there and get right back at it, but recovering from this injury requires a gradual build back to my regular routine. That means taking days off and doing shorter runs for awhile. It will be hard to remember this, because to me it just feels so good to be able to run, that i figure - why stop?? But it is simply not worth it to re-injure it, or make the injury chronic, and I have to keep telling myself that! But really -  if any of you were praying for this recovery, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Some other news that I don't think I ever shared is that I actually have changed my flight home...for the second time! There were so many factors in this decision, but basically, I am realizing that traveling here is much more expensive than I thought or planned for, and also extremely time consuming and stressful to plan alone. I was going to be traveling at the end of my time alone for two weeks until I met up with Sarah, and it was so hard to plan amidst a busy semester. I began to feel really uneasy about the whole thing when I was in Vienna, and so started praying about it. Long story short - I have moved my flight a whole week back, which I am honestly feeling such peace about! I was planning on still traveling to spain at the end, but the more I looked into it, the less it was becoming worth it for the amount of money and time it would take to do the actual TRANSPORT part of the trip, and wouldn't get to actually see all that much! It is extremely disappointing, as Spain and Prague were the two places I wanted to go more than anything here, and I won't get to do either! BUT I have decided to go spend another week with my sister in Switzerland, which I couldn't be more thrilled about it. It's been a crazy semester, and it will be so good to have some downtime in a place that I know I love, with a girl that I love, and her awesome friends and environment! I really am looking forward to this time. I've realized over the years that I'm a little bit possessive of my sister- when she's home, i want her all to myself! :) So this way, I'll get some time with her before I have to share her with the rest of the world for her short time in Iowa! :) I'm trying to remain positive about not getting to see Spain after all. I do feel like I have traveled a lot, and it's hard to fit so much into a few short months. I am thankful for what I have seen, and am just telling myself...this won't be my last time in europe! I will hopefully just get to spend more time in Spain when i have time to really be there and soak it in, and not rush through!


And that note, today I am leaving for a five day trip to the Netherlands with my friend Nicole. We are jumping on a train right after our class today, and five hours later, we'll arrive in Amsterdam! We'll spend two nights there, and then make our way to Rotterdam. We're thinking that we'll spend a day in The Hague, and a day in Rotterdam, and then we'll head home. I am really excited to see this country - I have heard great things and it should be a lot of fun. I have been saving my money for trips like this, so I am excited to experience it! I am praying for safety, good weather, and wisdom in all of these cities. You know me, I'll try to pack in as MUCH as possible, so it should be a busy five days! :)

Alright, well, I'm off. I am thinking of you all often and thank you for the ways you have intervened during my time here already. PLEASE shoot me an email if you ever have a chance, as I'd love to know how I can pray for you too and hear how you are doing. Now that I'm back "on the road" (on my feet...) every day, I want to be really intentional about using that time to lift others up the the Lord - to get my mind off of myself and focused on others. So, I would love to be praying for you!

Holland here I come!

2 comments:

Maria said...

good grief girl, this sounds amazing! thanks for sharing updates and whats on your heart. its great to hear how God is working in your life there, and providing you with FRIENDS AND FUN AND EXPERIENCES and everything!!! i love living vicariously through you:) have so much fun on the trip, tell us more soon!

Grove Cat said...

sounds like an amazing time for you sister