It feels like this is the longest time I have had in Heidelberg without a trip anywhere. However, despite being stationary, things have not quite been uneventful.
The last two weeks have actually been quite the rollercoaster.
Following an amazing weekend at my sisters, I came home to midterms week...which for me meant a test or project every day Monday-Thursday. Now somewhere along the line, I was told that study abroad programs are supposed to be a bit easier academically, so that you have time to really soak in the culture and experience life where you are. Wellll someone must have forgot to give my german history teacher that memo! In that class, I had the hardest midterm of my life, and it was by far the hardest I have ever studied for anything. It is interesting stuff, and good to know now I suppose, but my did I study SO much for that test. It was the biggest relief when it was over, and I have yet to get the results back...but we aren't going to focus on that :)
I got to go to my friend Marian's house (he studied abroad at city high last year) to meet his parents and see a nice littler German house. His parents are so sweet and it was really fun to be in a home! He then took me out "german" style with some of his friends. It's such a different scene here...very interesting! I had a lot of fun with them though.
The biggest news I have to offer is actually turning out to be one of the bigger challenges that I have gone through in awhile. I have encountered my first serious running injury. After many calls to my insurance company trying to figure things out, visits to different german doctors and interpreting a lot of broken english, I have been diagnosed with achilles tendonitis. Basically...a lot of pain, a lot of swelling, icing, pain meds, pain creme, a special ankle brace, laser treatment, and no running for three weeks. If you know me at all, you can imagine my response when i was told that! There is so much I could say about this - the deep lessons I am learning already. I am on day 12 of rest (not that I'm keeping track or anything...) which is by far the longest i have ever gone without running in YEARS. But in all reality, God is working on my heart SO much. I have discovered some alternative ways to stay active and stay outside - I have loved my long bike rides as I've discovered lands much further than I could on foot! There is so much to this town - i just choose a direction and go! It's wonderful because I really don't have to worry about getting lost...because I have hours where I can just explore, and I have TIME to get lost and still find my way. It's fun :) I know that this injury is going to be used in my life, and God is revealing so, so much to me through it. But is is seriously emotionally taxing on me. It goes against everything I am to have my mobility limited. But I don't doubt that God sees my pain, hears my prayers through them, and will continue to work through the injury, through the healing, and far far after that. I do ask for your prayer though! I know that God's power is beyond any doctor's, and that he can heal me as quickly as he desires. I am praying for this, and would love it if you would join me in that too.
One thing that I am really excited about is that I have found a church that I LOVE. It is called Grace International Baptist Church. It is a city a little ways away that I take a street car to, but it is completely english speaking, and has lots of families there! Mostly everyone there is connected to the US Military, and so i have met people from all over! I have only gone twice, but I have met some of the kindest people. One couple especially has really taken me under their wing. They both happen to have music degrees from Wheaton! They have been living here for four years, and I am enjoying getting to know them so much. I went to a small group meeting at the pastor's house this week, and will go back this next week. I feel so refreshed after having gone to this church, which is very unexpected for me to feel that way! I am really thankful for the people I have met already, and for the way God is using the church to encourage me. I am excited to get involved in the short time that I have here!
I suppose that is most of anything worth reporting. There is so much more to my life here, but it would take many entries to write it all, so this will do for now. If you're ever wanting to know more, chances are that I am anxious to share, so please don't hesitate to write me an email! Like I've said before, I looove personal emails from home! It is important to me to feel connected still, so I would love to hear from you!
Hope that the change of the season is beautiful for you all!
Rach
1 comment:
cool rachel! so glad to hear all of this...praise God for giving you a family of fellowship there, i'm really excited for you with that! and great attitude with your running injury...sometimes the hardest things are what makes us pay more attention to God's plan and desire for our lives :) i'm trusting that he's healing you, physically and emotionally from it! hang in there!!! thanks for the update!
Post a Comment